Monday, September 27, 2010

Maui Observations: Things To Do

During our trip to Maui, Brenda and I tried to do as many activities as we could pack into a week. Here are a couple of the activities that we particularly enjoyed.

1. Haleakala Sunrise

Brenda and I arose at 3:00 am to drive to Haleakala for the sunrise. Aren't we on vacation? We arrived at the summit about an hour before sunrise. We were almost too late. We parked in the last available parking space in the summit lot. The car behind us returned to the lower parking lot.

We got out of the car and were greeted by a cold wind. Fortunately, we were forewarned about the morning cold, and thus prepared. We each wore long pants, sweatshirts with hoods, and gloves.

While prepared for the weather, we didn't bring a flashlight. We stumbled in the dark on a trail to a lookout point. We were the only two people on the trail. Most of the other observers watched from an area next to an enclosed viewing structure.

As I looked East, I saw the sky turning red as the sun rose. With the clouds surrounding the lower portion of the mountains, it was an amazing view. I took pictures that failed to capture the beauty of the changing sky. I was mesmerized by the view. When the sun finally appeared above the clouds, it didn't seem like we had been watching for almost forty-five minutes.

As the sun appeared, a couple was seated on chairs near the parking lot. Brenda noticed the man kneeling before the woman, followed by a hug and champagne. He had proposed, and she accepted. What a great idea.

After the sun was fully visible, the parking lot quickly emptied. We stuck around as the views from the summit were gorgeous. Eventually Brenda convinced me that we needed to leave to check in for horseback riding.

Was it worth getting up at 3:00 am? Absolutely.



Haleakala Summit



Haleakala Summit - View to the West

Tips:

A. Arrive at least an hour before sunrise to park in the summit lot.
B. Wear cold weather clothes. We were both thankful that we also had gloves.
C. Bring a flashlight.
D. Do this early on the trip to take advantage of being on mainland time.


2. Haleakala Horseback Ride

I am surprised this is second on the list. I do not like riding horses. I've ridden a horse once as an adult. I did not enjoy the experience. I agreed to this adventure because Brenda had it high on her list of things to do.

Because the check-in was outside the park, we drove 45 minutes down the volcano to sign the legal waiver and then 45 minutes back up to the summit for the ride. We saw many downhill bikers go down the road. They were all wearing motorcycle helmets and silly jackets. I was glad that we passed on this activity.

At the lower summit parking lot, we used the restroom facilities and applied sunscreen. We then meet our guide Ra.

Once all the riders showed up, Ra loaded us onto horses. My horse was Rocky. After I mounted Rocky, Ra instructed me on the basics for handling the reins. He also warned me to lean back when the horse navigated steeper sections to avoid falling off the front of Rocky. Oh, I now see why we signed the waiver for bodily injury or death. Great, I thought this was safer than bike riding down the mountain.

Our group headed off. As we entered the volcano crater, the views were fantastic. It wasn't long, however, before the trail got steep. I quickly realized Ra was not kidding about the possibility of falling falling over the front of the horse. I spent the next two hours amazed at the views and terrified of falling off the horse every time the terrain steepened. Finally, we arrived at our lunch location. I was grateful to dismount from Rocky.

Lunch should have been pleasant. However, as soon as the food was brought out, the bees appeared. Bees scare me because I have an allergic reaction when stung. I tried to eat lunch as fast as possible while standing - not exactly an idyllic situation.



View at Lunch

Once lunch was finished, the bees left. This allowed me to take in the views and take some pictures. Far too soon, it was time to get back on the horse. Ra promised that the ride out would be easier. Ra also took a picture of Brenda and me on own horses.




Another Lunch View

At this point, you may be wondering how bad were the other activities if this was the second best. Despite the tough first two hours, the ride improved heading out. Ra was correct that going up was easier than going down. This helped me relax on than horse.

As then ride, my horse started to fall behind the group. I tried to urge him to keep up to little avail. Then unexpectedly he started to trot. After getting over the surprise, I realized this was fun. He trotted until he got close to Brenda's horse, then he went back to his slow walk. When the distance opened up again, he would trot until he almost caught with Brenda's horse. This continued for the rest of the ride, and I enjoyed every minute that Rocky trotted. By the time we arrived at the horse trailer, I was almost disappointed that the ride was over. Further, Brenda may have an easier time convincing to ride with her in the future.



Brenda and Me (Yes, we are both wearing sweatshirts.)

Tips:

A. Apply sunscreen to the top of your hands. Brenda and I both got forgot and got sunburned there.

B. Take your camera, there are many photo opportunities.

C. Wear warmer clothing and dress in layers.

No comments:

Post a Comment