Sunday, October 17, 2010

Half-Marathons

I have completed four half-marathons this year: Salt Lake, Eugene, Maui and Denver. Here is how I rank them.

1. Eugene

It was a close call between Eugene and Denver. I favor Eugene for two reasons. It finishes on the track at Hayward Field, and the post-race food selection is better than Denver.

Pros:

A. Finish at Hayward Field.

B. Great post-race food selection.

C. Good street closure.

D. Start and end at the same location.

Cons:

A. Likely will need to go to waves if it gets any larger. Streets and trails were a bit crowded during the race.

B. Didn't like the shirt. It was a Nike shirt, which may have been designed by them. To get an idea of how it looks, think about some of the hideous uniforms worn by the Oregon Ducks football team. Yes, it was that bad.

2. Denver

This may be second favorite because I set a PR at it. Also, it is close to where I live and work so it is easy to get there and park. Actually, even without these two things, it is far better than Salt Lake or Maui.

Pros

A. It is a very nice course. Considering it is Denver, it is relatively flat. They do a good job of closing the roads, and the course goes through two decent sized parks.

B. It has a downhill/flat finish.

C. Decent post-race food selection.

D. Runners start in waves, which helps keep the course from being too crowded. For the most part, you can run at your own pace.

E. Mile markers at every mile. Also, there were clocks at the majority of the mile markers.

F. Start and end at same location.

G. Shirt was okay. Not sure why they elected to use a tree to represent Denver. Don't love it but don't hate it.

H. Rock-n-Roll now runs it. I've done a Rock-n-Roll marathon and half-marathon. These have been two of the better organized races.

Cons

A. Altitude. This doesn't bother me too much since I live in Denver. For someone traveling from sea level, I imagine it is not a good thing.

B. The weather can be iffy in October in Denver. The last two years, the weather has been perfect. Not too hot or cold at the start and sunny. In previous years, though, there has been cold rain and/or snow.


3. Salt Lake

I am surprised this is third. The race is notorious for being poorly organized. I mainly ran it because it gave me an opportunity to visit my parents. The fact that it comes in third is an indication of how much I disliked Maui rather than Salt Lake being great.

Pros

A. Beautiful scenery at the start. For the first part, the view is of the Wasatch mountains.

B. Great street closures. Salt Lake also has some wide streets so can run at our pace for the majority of the race.

C. Decent post-race food selection.


Cons

A. Brutal uphill in the last mile or so. At least it felt brutal to me.

B. Altitude. See Denver.

C. Didn't like the shirt.

D. No pacers. Probably not a big deal if you have a Garmin, a good sense of pace, or are not running at one of the provided paces. However, I like races with pacers.

4. Maui

Maybe my impression of Maui is colored because I had a nasty cold two days before the race. However, I doubt that I would do this race again. I can't say that about any of the other races, not even Salt Lake. The best part of Maui was staying another week on the island.

Pros

A. Great location. Duh, it is Maui.

B. Starts and ends at the same place. This is not true for the marathoners since they start 26.2 miles away.


Cons

A. No timing chip. Even the small local races in Highlands Ranch, CO use timing chips.

B. Almost no mile markers. The only one I remember seeing was a mile 25 marker for the marathon. I suppose if you own a Garmin, you may not care.

C. Awful road closures. For a good portion of the race, you are running next to cars. The cars are only separated by orange traffic cones. The only thing that makes this somewhat acceptable is the cars are not moving very fast because of gridlock.

D. The course is too crowded. For most of the course, it is congested Unless you are fast, which I am not, you cannot run at your own pace. This race needs to organize into waves or close down more of the road. Closing down more of the road is unlikely since a good portion of the course is on the only major road between Ma'alea and Ka'anapali.

E. No pacers. See Salt Lake above.

F. Too hot and humid, at least for me.

G. Terrible post-race food selection. The only thing that I remember being offered was apple and orange slices. Maybe I missed the smorgasbord, but if it existed, it wasn't readily apparent where it was located.








No comments:

Post a Comment