Sunday, July 5, 2009

Sluggish

Sluggish: averse to activity or exertion. This is how I felt over the last week about workouts as my motivation to do them has been low. The result, I've skipped about half of them this last week.

Why such low enthusiasm to workout? Not sure but it may have something to do with knowing that I'm not planning to race again this year. Since Milkman, I've kind of thought that the race season may be over for me. I was on the fence about Loveland. I ended up doing it because I had already paid the entry fee and needed a workout for the day. Loveland only confirmed in my mind that I have little interest in participating in another race this year.

Another potential issue, the sports medicine doctor who I am seeing has instructed me to avoid high intensity workouts until I see her again. This is most likely precautionary but I plan to follow these orders. So, I will not be doing any speed or other high effort workouts for two weeks.

Despite my recent general adverseness to workouts, Saturday was a good day. Although scheduled to ride for two hours after swimming, I ended up riding for four hours. The extra two hours came when I ran into the 17 hour training group towards the end of my two hour ride. When I saw them in the midst of their 17 hour training day, I made a quick decision to ride up Deer Creek with them. This turned out to be a good decision as riding with group boosted my morale. Even though I was dropped by the main group, I enjoyed going up the canyon at a slow, relaxed pace with Andrea.

Today, I rode an hour with Brenda. This was a fun ride as we took it easy on the Ralston Creek trail. Even better than the ride being relaxing, I got to do it with Brenda. It was nice to ride on two consecutive days with no agenda or plan other than just riding. I could get comfortable with this training with no intensity.

No comments:

Post a Comment